Phoenix Golf Club was officially established on 1st January 1932 by the workers of a local steelmaking firm, Steel, Peech & Tozer, although hearsay has it that golfers played golf on a few holes some time prior to this. The membership at this time comprised of just 22 founder members. It is recorded that four gentlemen went to management of Steel, Peech & Tozer and asked if they could be given permission to develop an area of scrubland and former arable land into a golf course. With no funds available the management allowed this subject to agreement that all work was done in the gentlemen's own time and at their own expense. They and their fellow members developed the golf course in a piecemeal style, firstly to a nine hole course initially designed by Mr. Tom Williamson and then in 1935 into fourteen holes. Much of the development work being done with simple hand-tools. The rest as they say is history and the present day members of Phoenix Golf Club owe these four gentlemen and their fellow members an enormous debt of gratitude.
The first official game was played over the first new nine holes in the winter of 1932 by Bert Douglas, Seth Hampshire, Morley Gladwin and Norrie Bacon, accompanied by fellows, Reg Brunyee, George Fox, George Copley and Mr Seaman the Groundsman. In 1949 Golf Course architect Mr C K Cotton drew up plans for an 18 hole layout and after securing land to the North of Bawtry Road the new 18 hole golf course was officially opened in 1952.